Godzilla hits D.C. | 2017 Nissan GT-R preview
Tue, 05/24/2016 - 05:57
Godzilla made a pit stop in Washington, D.C. yesterday. No, not that Godzilla — the one that Nissan enthusiasts have been creating a stir over since its introduction in the United States in 2008. We’re talking about the 2017 Nissan GT-R. We sat down with Senior Manager of Product Planning for Nissan, Robert “Bob” Munson, to get the skinny on the updated GT-R. While this GT-R isn’t a complete overhaul, Nissan has made several updates to the 2017 model year to make its fanboy favorite more refined.
So, what’s new with the GT-R?
- Carbon fiber accents on the center console
- Simplified head unit, taking it from 27 buttons to 11
- Moved the shift levers from the steering column to the wheel
- 565 hp, a 20 hp increase thanks to individual ignition-timing controls (brought down from Nismo)
- Stiffened body for full range of use of the suspension
- Added insulation, including acoustic glass, for a quieter ride
- Available titanium exhaust
- Hand-crafted, luxurious interior
- All-wheel-drive (AWD)
- “V-motion” Nissan grille
- New hood, better reinforced for high-speed driving
- Carve-outs on the side sills for the convenience of driver and passenger entry/exit